What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
No other animal has had a greater impact on Canada's history as the beaver. This iconic animal, which was highly prized for its fur, can be found in lakes, rivers and ponds all across Canada where it lives as part of a close-knit family unit.
Did you know...
• Both parents are actively involved in raising their kits.
• Beavers are social animals that use vocal communication too – kits will whine to get their parents' attention during feeding times and while playing.
• A beaver family that grooms together stays together! Beavers must groom daily to keep their fur waterproof and will groom each other as well – it's all part of family bonding.
• Those razor-sharp incisors never stop growing – and never get dull! From a young age, the beaver is constantly sharpening its teeth as it gnaws on wood.
• Beavers can be quite territorial and aren't fond of unwelcome houseguests – they will post “scent mounds” (mud with the beaver's castor oil mixed in) all around their territory to ward off any beavers that aren't related to them.
A wonderful set to begin a young person's coin collection. Don't miss out, order yours today!
• The first in the Royal Canadian Mint's baby animal series.
• Colour on your coin has been artfully applied to keep the focus on the young beaver.
• A striking addition to any Canadiana- or nature-themed collection.
• Your coin is GST/HST exempt with a limited worldwide mintage.
Designed by Canadian artist Glen Loates your coin depicts an industrious young beaver and its mother amidst the grasses and leaves along the riverbank. Here, the kit is shown in three-quarter profile (facing left) as it stands poised at the river's edge, its flat tail partially submerged with ripples surrounding it showing ever so slight movement. The beaver's equally famous teeth are on full display as the kit gnaws on a small branch. Its brown-coloured fur stands in contrast to the bright green-coloured leaves of a balsam poplar tree (Populus balsamifera) – a favourite species for beavers – which is gripped by the kit's mother in the background.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
Order your coin today!