What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
For Canadians, the caribou embodies the tale of this nation's ageless landscape. In the caribou, you see a vast migratory journey through space and time. You relate to its resilience, its ability, across the massive span of millennia and kilometres, to nourish itself and thrive in harsh, remote conditions. The Caribou teaches you the lessons of survival in this land: the benefits of slow, steady progress borne of tireless effort; the safety of the herd against predators large and small; and your intrinsic interconnection with the world you inhabit.
It is no surprise that this unique animal is a Canadian icon, celebrated since 1937 on Canada's 25-cent circulation coin, official animal of Newfoundland and Labrador, and shield-bearer of the Nunavut coat of arms. Order yours today!
• Your coin is the eighth coin in the O Canada 1/2 oz silver coin series.
• Your coin features a stylized caribou hoof print.
• Your coin includes detail engravings of the caribou set against the backdrop of the Canadian Arctic—one of the world's most remote landscapes.
• Your coin is a great gift and collectible that celebrates Canada's natural wonders, the Canadian North.
• Struck in 99.99% fine silver, your coin is GST/HST exempt.
Your coin was designed by Pierre Leduc and presents a male caribou set against the rugged terrain of the Canadian North. The caribou faces you, his large rack of antlers, stocky body, and long legs viewed from the front. The caribou peers at you with his right eye, his powerful neck turned to his left. Below and behind him are the snow-covered rocky ground and characteristic pines of Canada's northern boreal forest. In the distance, mountains stretch out along the horizon.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a maroon clamshell case lined with flock and protected by a customized full color sleeve.
This coin is an excellent addition to any coin display focused around nature.
Order yours today!