What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
When Britain declared war on Germany on August 4, 1914, its entire Empire was drawn into the conflict, including Canada and Newfoundland.
Across the Dominion, men flocked to recruiting stations. Within two months, Canada's pre-war militia that included a standing army of 3,110 men had grown to 33,000. Many were recent British immigrants or native-born Canadians of British origin, but among them were also more than 1,000 French Canadians, many First Nations as well as many others from diverse ethnic backgrounds. Five hundred soldiers from the British colonies of Newfoundland and Labrador also joined the ranks, while some 2,500 women stepped forward to serve as nurses.
Train stations across Canada became the stage for tearful goodbyes and lingering embraces. The First World War was a true coming of age for the young nation, and the hope, fear, courage and deep sacrifice Canadians felt 100 years ago remain as poignant and inspiring today.
As someone well acquainted with the powerful way coins can preserve the events, places and moments closest to our hearts, we invite you to discover how the Mint has joined the international centennial of the First World War—by making it the focus of our annual Brilliant Fine Silver Dollar.
• Your coin is among our best-sellers every year since 1937! Continue the tradition and order yours today!
• Your coin is an exceptional keepsake that expresses your affection and pride for all Canadians who served the cause of freedom.
• Your coin features a brilliant image relief struck on a brilliant field. Your brilliant uncirculated coin was struck up to two times on numismatic presses allowing the rich engraving details to shine through.
• A tribute to hope, courage and sacrifice to those who helped Canada rise to nationhood through their bravery and resolve.
• Crafted in 99.99% pure silver, your coin is GST/HST exempt with a limited mintage of 20,000 worldwide.
• Also available in proof finish!
• Your coin depicts a Canadian soldier saying goodbye to his loved one. Continue following this soldier as he's completed basic training in Valcartier and is boarding a ship for Britain as depicted in the 1/2 oz. Fine Silver Coin - The Mobilisation of our Nation.
Through the vision of Nova Scotia artist Bonnie Ross, the Royal Canadian Mint has captured one of countless emotional farewells replayed on train platforms across Canada as our volunteers left to assemble in Valcartier for war in Europe. Your 2014 Brilliant Fine Silver Dollar captures a couple in a farewell embrace as military recruits board a train for basic training. You can be certain the emotions that filled Canadian train stations 100 years ago are the same as the hope, fear, love and uncertainty today's military families feel as they say “goodbye” to their loved ones who choose to serve Canada here and abroad.
• At no additional cost to you, your coin comes encapsulated and presented in a maroon flock-lined clamshell case
• Your coin is protected by a black beauty box and accompanied by a serialized certificate – your proof of ownership for this coin and evidence that your coin has been individually inspected by our resident quality assurance specialists
Order your coin today!