What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
* Please call store to confirm product stock.close
Storytelling has long been a rich oral tradition for Aboriginal cultures. It is said that from the first snowfall to the first clap of thunder, elders impart history, traditions and life lessons to the younger generation through rich narratives filled with allegories and imagery. For the Aboriginal Peoples, these tales – and the messages they convey – form deep connections to who they are, how they relate to the world, their ceremonial rituals and even everyday life.
Often, these stories revolve around characters that possess physical and personality traits akin to humans, animals, plants and even the elements. For the Anishinaabe, an important cultural character is Nanaboozhoo; as a shapeshifting spirit, he teaches right from wrong through his adventures while offering lessons on how to live in harmony with the natural world.
Each coin in the series tells part of the story – collect them all!
• Your coin was designed by Cyril Assiniboine, a renowned self taught Ojibwa artist and a pow wow dancer who enjoys illustrating the cultural traditions of his people.
• Your coin captures a pivotal scene within the story, in which the hero is pursued by angry Thunderbirds after he has taken feathers from their young.
• Each coin in this unique new series pays homage to the time-honoured cultural tradition of Aboriginal storytelling through its depictions of the beloved Ojibwa Legend of Nanaboozhoo.
• Your coin is GST/HST exempt with a limited worldwide mintage.
Designed by Canadian artist Cyril Assiniboine, who is Ojibwa, your coin depicts Nanaboozhoo climbing the highest cliff to get to the Thunderbirds’ nest, where he has plucked feathers from the young birds (seen in the upper right side of the image). But the fully grown Thunderbirds have since returned to the nest and are angered by Nanaboozhoo’s actions. With lightning flashing from a Thunderbird’s eye and thunder rolling from its beak, Nanaboozhoo quickly flees from the Thunderbird’s wrath while clutching the feather-adorned arrow in his right hand.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with custom beauty box featuring the original painting.
Order your coin today!