Fine Silver Coin - Butterflies of Canada: Red-Spotted Purple - Mintage: 10,000 (2014)
Second coin in highly popular series. Order yours today!
This beautifully engraved and painted 99.99% pure silver coin features the red-spotted purple, whose Canadian habitat is largely restricted to southern Ontario. This lovely butterfly's colouring and spot patterns represent an important protective adaptation: the red-spotted purple has evolved to mimic a poisonous butterfly, the Pipevine Swallowtail.
Limenitis arthemis astyanax looks much like its close relative, the well-known White Admiral butterfly. Its upper wings are bright bluish-purple and outlined with several rows of blue-white dashes. The upper hind wing is marked with lovely iridescent blue-green squares.Where their ranges overlap, the red-spotted purple also bears the familiar white bands of the White Admiral. The red-spotted purple is most commonly found on the outskirts of wooded areas, on gravel roads sunning its wings, in open meadows, and in woodland clearings.
Did you know…
• The red-spotted purple prefers to lay its eggs on plum and oak leaves.
• The adults fly throughout the summer, from June to mid-September, and are diurnal, restricting their active period to daylight hours.
A thoughtful and valuable gift for nature lovers and art aficionados. Order yours today!
• Arrives packaged in a beautiful hologram beauty box!
• This painted and engraved 99.99% pure silver coin highlights the intense coloration of the red-spotted purple butterfly.
• Celebrate the life and habits of a beloved Canadian insect species, beautifully engraved and coloured, with a slight shimmer effect to further enhance its beauty.
• A lovely addition to any collection featuring fine artwork, natural images, native species of Canada, butterflies and other insect species, or Canadiana.
• Your coin is GST/HST exempt with a limited worldwide mintage.
This coin features a profile portrait of a red-spotted purple drinking nectar from the heart of a black-eyed Susan flower. The butterfly, engraved and coloured in full glorious colour, is viewed from its right side. The viewer is presented with a lovely view of the red-spotted purple's under-wing. Here we see the characteristic dark purple-black colouring, with some of the blue iridescence that characterizes most of the upper side of the delicate wing. The light blue-white markings around the wing contrast prettily with the bright red spots that give this butterfly its name. The butterfly stands on top of an engraved black-eyed Susan flower, drinking nectar from the flower's center.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with customer hologram beauty box.
Order your coin today!
You may also like
1/2 oz. Fine Silver 6-Coin Subscription—Canoe Across Canada (2015)
27 reviews$44.95 CAD
1/2 oz. Fine Silver Coloured 5-Coin Subscription - Colourful Songbirds of Canada (2015)
15 reviews$64.95 CAD
$50 for $50 Fine Silver Coin - Beaver (2015)
278 reviews$50.00 CAD
1/2 oz. Fine Silver Coloured Coin – Colourful Songbirds of Canada: The Northern Cardinal (2015)
21 reviews$64.95 CAD
1/2 oz. Fine Silver Coloured Coin – Colourful Songbirds of Canada: The Blue Jay (2015)
22 reviews$64.95 CAD
1/2 oz. Fine Silver Coloured Hologram Coin - The Pygmy Snaketail - Mintage: 10,000 (2015)
12 reviews$79.95 CAD