What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
The Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) is the designation for the Canadian forces that served overseas during the First World War. Far from their homeland, they helped build Canada's international reputation and contributed to Canada's coming of age as a nation. On the 100th anniversary of the declaration of the First World War, it is important to pay tribute to the contributions and sacrifices made by those brave Canadians – lest we forget.
Did you know...
• More than 630,000 men and women from across Canada served as soldiers, nurses and chaplains during the First World War from 1914 to 1918. Of those, 424,000 served overseas as part of the CEF.
• In August 1914, a military training camp for the CEF was erected just north of Quebec City – the site is now known as CFB Valcartier and is still used today by the Canadian Forces.
• By war's end Canada had raised 260 numbered battalions and 2 named ones, 13 regiments of mounted rifles, 13 railway troop battalions, 5 pioneer battalions and several more ancillary units. someregiments continue to proudly serve their country today, including Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and The Royal 22e Regiment (The Van Doos). The valour of those who fought in the Battle of Ypres in 1915, the Battle of the Somme in 1916, as well as Vimy Ridge and Passchendaele in 1917 gave the CEF a reputation for being a steadfast and resourceful force, and one of the most effective ones on the Western Front.
• Sadly, nearly one out of every ten Canadians who served during the First World War never made it home; nearly 60,000 members of the CEF lost their lives and so many more were wounded during the four-year conflict.
Your beautifully detailed design commemorates the 100th anniversary of the declaration of the First World War and pays tribute to the Canadian Expeditionary Force, whose valour in battle helped Canada forge a national identity and move towards greater autonomy.
• Your coin features different finishes that showcase the coin's detailed design.
• Your coin complements the Royal Canadian Mint's First World War-themed coin series while honouring those who served abroad.
• Crafted in 99.99 % pure silver.
• Your coin is GST/HST exempt.
• Has a limited worldwide mintage.
In the background, a convoy of ships represent those who first delivered Canada to the war in 1914. The First World War was the last conflict to be uniquely defined by the foot soldier; therefore, the lone soldier in the foreground is particularly poignant. Already shaped by the battles of 1915, our soldier is kneeling with his right foot stretched past the circular image frame. He is pondering his journey as he looks out into the horizon where silhouettes of battle-weary soldiers march on in the distance – much as they did through to the final days of war in 1918. The Maple Leaf crest cap badge at the bottom of the image adds motifs linked to the CEF as a tribute to its contributions.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell box with a black beauty box.
• 99.99% Pure Silver Proof Set - 100th Anniversary of the Declaration of the First World War (2014)
• Proof Fine Silver Dollar - 100th Anniversary of the Declaration of the First World War (2014)
• 1/2 oz. Fine Silver Coin - The Mobilisation of our Nation (2014)
• Brilliant Fine Silver Dollar - 100th Anniversary of the Declaration of the First World War (2014)
• Silver Dollar Proof Set - 100th Anniversary of the Declaration of the First World War (2014)
Order your coin today!