What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
Although reminiscent of the antelope of the African continent, Antilocapra Americana is the only member of its globally unique Antilocapridae family, which is native to North America. It is distinguished from other large, hoofed game animals by its unique keratinous, curving horns with their distinct forward-facing prongs. These are shed annually in late fall and begin growing in spring, returning to their full length by mid-summer. Although the Pronghorn does not jump higher than about 90 centimetres, this metre-high, reddish-brown ruminant can sprint at speeds of about 85 kilometres an hour and run great distances at about 40 kilometres an hour.
Every day, the dramatic tales of the untamed wilderness are played out across Canada’s vast landscape—as they have been for untold millennia. Order your coin today!
• Second issue in the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting new Untamed Canada series featuring a bold artistic direction.
• Your coin showcases five different coin finishes each with a separate degree of luster, exceptional engraving techniques and woodblock-inspired art.
• A dramatic approach to coin design inspired by the untamed nature of the Pronghorn rendered in 99.99% fine silver in a rare 40-millimetre diameter, to showcase the art and artistry.
• Your coin is rendered in fine silver (99.99% pure) and is GST/HST exempt.
• Limited mintage of 8,500 worldwide.
Designed by Canadian artist Tivadar Bote, your coin features a unique stylized image, inspired by woodblock design, of a Pronghorn set against symbolic elements of its Canadian habitat. The Pronghorn, viewed in three-quarter profile, is presented in the foreground of the image, its namesake horns reaching majestically toward the top of the image, with its serene face and head set upon a muscular neck. In the background, the image of a circular sunburst replete with rays recalls the vast open skies of the Pronghorn’s preferred habitat. From the sunburst rise wheat motifs and rays of light. The circularity of this element echoes the circular field of the coin and hints at the cyclical nature of the Pronghorn’s lifecycle.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell case lined with black flock and protected by a black beauty box.
Order your coin today!