What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
This great bear has been honoured by Canada’s First Nations people for thousands of years, often revered with the same respect as a grandfather. Powerful yet solitary, the grizzly is a commanding example of the unconquerable and often elusive nature of Canada’s wilderness.
• This is the first coin in the Royal Canadian Mint’s $5 gold O Canada series. The series focuses on iconic Canadian animals, starting with the grizzly bear.
• Masterfully crafted by Royal Canadian Mint engravers, struck in premium proof finish to bring depth and texture to this stunning image of Canadian wildlife, and rendered in 99.99% pure gold with limited mintages, these coins are sure to be sought after by serious collectors.
• Own a piece of Canada’s natural beauty, painstakingly captured in a 1/10th ounce of 99.99% pure gold.
• An excellent addition to any nature-focused or Canadiana collection.
• A beautiful gift or collectible for those who love wildlife, natural images, original artwork, and Canadian themes.
The reverse design by Canadian artist Glen Loates presents a full-body portrait of a grizzly bear. Viewed from the front, the massive grizzly raises its powerful right front claw, perhaps in a display of dominance or aggression. Its mouth open to reveal its large teeth, the grizzly displays its full bulk to stunning effect. The large head, muscular chest and front legs, enormous neck hump and gargantuan body lead back to a low rump and squat, powerful hind legs. The grizzly’s distinctive bushy silver-tipped fur is rendered in stunning detail, making the huge animal appear even larger. The grizzly stands atop a rocky outcropping. In the background we see the jagged peaks of its western highland habitat. The reverse is engraved with the word “CANADA,” the date “2014,” and the face value of “5 DOLLARS.” The outer frame of the image also features a miniature stylized grizzly head in profile. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell case lined with black flock and protected by a customized beauty box.
Order your coin today!