What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
This glorious dragonfly is enjoyed by nature lovers and backyard watchers from early summer to late August. Large (5-6 cm long) in its adult phase, and strikingly coloured, the Twelve-Spotted Skimmer is found near waterways across southern Canada, from British Columbia to Nova Scotia. The Twelve-Spotted Skimmer is well known for its spotted gossamer wings and powder-blue body.
Start this promising series of dragonflies and holograms from the beginning, and order your coin today!
• Your coin is the first in the Royal Canadian Mint’s exciting new Dragonflies series featuring painted Canadian dragonfly species set against hologram images of their natural habitat!
• The hologram technology, representing the water, is used on your coin to capture the full rainbow spectrum of color from any light source as you tilt your coin back and forth.
• Very limited mintage of just 10,000 means this coin will sell quickly.
• A beautiful gift and exquisite addition to any nature-themed or specialty coin collection.
• Crafted in 99.99% fine silver - GST/HST exempt.
Your coin was designed by Canadian artist Celia Godkin and features a painted Twelve-Spotted Skimmer dragonfly set against a hologram. Rendered in finest detail, the dragonfly is presented from its right side. Its lacy, brightly hued periwinkle-spotted wings, with contrasting black dots and soft blue-white colouring, are fully extended as the male Twelve-Spotted Skimmer poses delicately atop a blade of pond grass. From the viewer’s vantage point, we see the Skimmer’s characteristic yellow-lined thorax and body as well as the soft blue colouring that distinguishes the mature male of the species. In the background, its natural habitat—a water lily-lined pond—is presented in a shimmering full colour hologram, bringing sparkling movement to the water. The polished silver border around the image is engraved with the word “CANADA,” the date “2013” and the face value of “10 DOLLARS.”
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a maroon clamshell case lined with flock and protected by a sleeve.
Don’t be disappointed, order your coin today!