What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
Your life rides on the buffalo's back. Aboriginal people have understood this relationship since time immemorial, and have long respected the buffalo for the food, clothing and tools it provided. The fact that this great beast gave every part of its being to sustain them made the buffalo's life greater than theirs, not less. Buffalo could thrive without the people, but the people could not live without the buffalo, and they were humbled by the profound respect it showed them year after year.
Respect is a cornerstone of Aboriginal life. It means living with dignity and a reverence for the land and all living things. From respect flow kindness and a willingness to share; only taking what is necessary; not wasting; and giving away that which is no longer needed.
Respect is one of the lessons in the Seven Sacred Teachings practiced by Aboriginal people throughout North America for a full and happy life. While variations of these teachings do exist across the continent, this diversity only enriches them and underscores the universality of their wisdom.
Honour the great buffalo—and thrive! Order your coin today! And order the subscription!
• An original design by Métis artist Nathalie Bertin, inspired by the Woodland style of her Algonquin ancestry.
• Your coin's image conveys the powerful relationship between people and the buffalo; how this great, benevolent beast supports and comforts them, enabling them to thrive.
• A stunning work of art crafted by the Mint's expert engravers in 99.99% pure silver with selective gold plating.
• Your coin is the perfect gift for anyone with an interest in First Nations art, culture and history.
• An uplifting keepsake to inspire anyone on their path towards personal growth and development.
• Your coin is GST/HST exempt and has a limited worldwide mintage.
Your coin was designed by Métis artist Nathalie Bertin who creates a powerful image of a great, benevolent buffalo with an abstract figure lying on the buffalo's back in a position of comfort and security; the eagle feather in the figure's hand is an important ceremonial object often given as a sign of respect. The background pattern of sage leaves reinforces the buffalo's teachings.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a custom beauty box.
Order your coin today!