Fine Silver Hologram Coin - Maple of Longevity - Mintage:
Sixth coin in a popular series! Order yours today!
The Royal Canadian Mint proudly celebrates the rich cultural heritage of Chinese Canadians with this beautifully intricate silver coin. The use of traditional symbolism in this Asian-inspired design conveys a blessing of longevity—one of the important life blessings in ancient Chinese beliefs—upon the coin's owner.
• In Asian art and poetry, images of plants and animals are often used as symbols that represent different ideas and concepts. According to Chinese tradition, keeping some form of these images close by can bring you many blessings. If you are given a symbol that represents a long life, you have been given a "Blessing of Longevity."
• Along with prosperity and good luck, longevity is considered one of the pillars of a perfect life and is represented by many different symbols.
• The people of ancient China believed that cranes, like turtles, could live for centuries; in reality, a crane's average life span is about 25 years—that's still a long time for a bird!
• The crane's white feathers reflect the white hair and wisdom of old age, while its ability to fly symbolizes a person's ability to rise above current circumstances.
• The "slow and steady" tortoise is another symbol that represents longevity. Long ago, tortoises were believed to live for 10,000 years! The tortoise is an important creature in Chinese mythology and also represents wisdom, time and the beginning of creation.
• Chrysanthemums are believed to be the flower of immortality. This beautiful blossom is also believed to possess many life-sustaining properties, and is often used in teas to promote a long and healthy life.
• Did you know that Canada's national symbol, the maple leaf, also has a place in Chinese folklore? You'll often find red autumn leaves paired with chrysanthemums, since both represent fall, harvest and abundance. The maple leaf also represents a person's happiness in relation to where they live and work—a great new way to look at the Canadian flag!
With a limited mintage of only 8,888, this coin is sure to sell out quickly—so order yours today!
• Your silver coin is the sixth in our renowned series of Asian-inspired coins that bear a hologram of a maple leaf. Unique selective hologram and captivating style make this an excellent addition to your display.
• Your coin features multiple finishes that give added depth and precise detailing to the image.
• Mintage has been limited to 8,888 coins worldwide—a number that is symbolic since the number "8" is considered the luckiest of numbers in Chinese tradition.
• A beautiful and thoughtful gift that confers on its owner a sincere blessing of longevity.
Designed by Canadian artist Simon Ng, your coin artfully combines numerous Chinese symbols for "longevity" to convey a blessing for a long life. The pairs of cranes, tortoises and chrysanthemums are surrounded by a multitude of flowers that bloom throughout the seasons, thus extending the blessing throughout the year. This beautiful, intricate design also features a hologram of a maple leaf. Engraved along the top of the image field are the word "CANADA," the year "2014," the Chinese symbol for "longevity," and the face value of "15 DOLLARS."
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
Order your coin today!
You may also like
1/2 oz. Fine Silver 6-Piece Medallion Set - Discover China - Mintage: 5,000 (2015)
19 reviews$188.88 CAD
The Chinese Lunar Calendar Medallion Set 2015
3 reviews$19.95 CAD
Fine Silver Lunar Lotus Coin - Year of the Sheep - Mintage: 18,888 (2015)
19 reviews$98.88 CAD
Fine Silver Coin - Year of the Sheep - Mintage: 8,888 (2015)
11 reviews$74.95 CAD
1/2 oz. Fine Silver Coin - Year of the Sheep - Mintage: 22,888 (2015)
25 reviews$39.88 CAD
18-karat Gold Coin - Year of the Sheep - Mintage: 2,500 (2015)
0 reviews$688.88 CAD