Proof Fine Silver Dollar - 100th Anniversary of the Declaration of the First World War (2014)
A wartime embrace to stand the test of time.
When Britain declared war on Germany on August 4, 1914, its entire Empire was drawn into the conflict, including Canada and Newfoundland.
Across the Dominion, men flocked to recruiting stations. Within two months, Canada's pre-war militia that included a standing army of 3,110 men had grown to 33,000. Many were recent British immigrants or native-born Canadians of British origin, but among them were also more than 1,000 French Canadians, many First Nations as well as many others from diverse ethnic backgrounds. Five hundred soldiers from the British colonies of Newfoundland and Labrador also joined the ranks, while some 2,500 women stepped forward to serve as nurses.
Train stations across Canada became the stage for tearful goodbyes and lingering embraces. The First World War was a true coming of age for the young nation, and the hope, fear, courage and deep sacrifice Canadians felt 100 years ago remain as poignant and inspiring today.
As someone well acquainted with the powerful way coins can preserve the events, places and moments closest to our hearts, we invite you to discover how the Mint has joined the international centennial of the First World War—by making it the focus of our annual Proof Fine Silver Dollar.
• Your coin is an exceptional keepsake that expresses your affection and pride for all Canadians who served the cause of freedom.
• Your coin is among our best-sellers every year since 1937! Continue the tradition and order yours today!
• Your beautifully detailed coin commemorates the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War.
• ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! Your proof coin is the highest quality possible. A frost image is struck against a brilliant filed as many as three times to achieve an incredible crisp impression with amazing detail. Special dies are hand polished and frequently replaced to maintain absolute perfection.
• A tribute to hope, courage and sacrifice to those who helped Canada rise to nationhood through their bravery and resolve.
• Crafted in 99.99% pure silver, your coin is GST/HST exempt with a limited mintage of 40,000 worldwide.
• Hand polished! The field (flat background) has a highly hand polished mirror-like finish
• Your coin is the 55th issue of our popular Silver Dollar coin. The perfect coin to give to someone you love so they many begin their appreciation of coins!
• Also available in brilliant finish!
• Your coin depicts a Canadian soldier saying goodbye to his loved one. Continue following this soldier as he's completed basic training in Valcartier and is boarding a ship for Britain as depicted in the 1/2 oz. Fine Silver Coin - The Mobilisation of our Nation.
• Five finishes! The relief (raised foreground) incorporates the use of five (5) different finishes using a new laser engraving which beautifully accentuate the design. Note the different finishes used on the background, the ground and the top windows on the train, the uniforms of the soldiers and the lower windows on the train, the train, bags and skin of all the people, and the lady's dress and the main soldier's socks.
Through the vision of Nova Scotia artist Bonnie Ross, the Royal Canadian Mint has captured one of countless emotional farewells replayed on train platforms across Canada as our volunteers left to assemble in Valcartier for war in Europe. Your 2014 Proof Fine Silver Dollar captures a couple in a farewell embrace as military recruits board a train for basic training. You can be certain the emotions that filled Canadian train stations 100 years ago are the same as the hope, fear, love and uncertainty today's military families feel as they say “goodbye” to their loved ones who choose to serve Canada here and abroad.
• At no additional cost to you, your coin comes encapsulated and presented in a maroon flock-lined clamshell case
• Your coin is protected by a black beauty box and accompanied by a serialized certificate – your proof of ownership for this coin and evidence that your coin has been individually inspected by our resident quality assurance specialists
Order your coin today!
You may also like
$50 for $50 Fine Silver Coin - Polar Bear (2014)
13 reviews$50.00 CAD
99.99% Pure Silver Proof Set - 100th Anniversary of the Declaration of the First World War (2014)
34 reviews$229.95 CAD
Brilliant Fine Silver Dollar - 100th Anniversary of the Declaration of the First World War (2014)
8 reviews$54.95 CAD
1 oz. Fine Silver Coin - Maple Leaf (2014)
25 reviews$79.95 CAD
1/2 oz. Fine Silver Coin - Welcome to the World (2014)
27 reviews$59.95 CAD
1/2 oz. Fine Silver Coin - Igloo (2014)
0 reviews$39.95 CAD