What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
Storytelling has long been a rich oral tradition for Aboriginal cultures. It is said that from the first snowfall to the first clap of thunder, elders impart history, traditions and life lessons to the younger generation through rich narratives filled with allegories and imagery. For the Aboriginal Peoples, these tales – and the messages they convey – form deep connections to who they are, how they relate to the world, their ceremonial rituals and everyday life.
Often, these stories revolve around characters that possess physical and personality traits akin to humans, animals, plants and even the elements. For the Anishinaabe, an important cultural character is Nanaboozhoo; as a shapeshifting spirit, he teaches right from wrong through his adventures while offering lessons on how to live in harmony with the natural world.
Each coin in the series tells part of the story – collect them all!
• A MINT FIRST! The first single 1/10 oz. platinum coin produced by the Royal Canadian Mint.
• Your coin was designed by Cyril Assiniboine, a renowned self-taught Ojibwa artist and a pow-wow dancer who enjoys illustrating the cultural traditions of his people.
• Your stunning coin offers an artistic representation of Nanaboozhoo, a key character in many Aboriginal stories.
• Each coin in this unique new series pays homage to the time-honoured cultural tradition of Aboriginal storytelling through its depictions of the beloved Ojibwa Legend of Nanaboozhoo.
• Your coin is GST/HST exempt with a limited worldwide mintage.
Designed by Canadian artist Cyril Assiniboine, who is Ojibwa, your coin is a richly detailed effigy of Nanaboozhoo. While the aboriginal cultural hero is quick to transform into a rabbit in many legends, here he is represented in human form with his face painted. Seen in three-quarter profile, Nanaboozhoo is dressed in a traditional Western Ojibwa dress; feathers stand atop his fur headdress as his long, braided hair spills out from under it.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with custom beauty box featuring the original painting.
Order your coin today!