99.999% Pure Gold Coin – Blessings of Good Health – Mintage: 588 (2016) PP
Canada and US only
Crafted in five 9's pure gold, the highest standard of gold worldwide! Order today!
Wishing health and longevity for family and friends is one of China's greatest traditions, and this unique coin is brimming with good blessings. Designed in the style of traditional Chinese paper cutting, it features a monkey (a symbol for health) holding a peach, the divine fruit of the gods that is believed to bring longevity. Even the number of peaches and blossoms—nine—is a symbolic wish for a long and fulfilled life, as is the added luck built into the mintage of 588.
A deeply meaningful gift to convey your heartfelt wishes to the recipient! Order yours today!
- The 8th and final coin in our Blessings series, which began in 2009.
- A proud celebration of the traditional culture of Canada's Chinese communities.
- 99.999% PURE GOLD! A rare opportunity to own a spectacular coin crafted from 99.999% pure gold.
- The beautiful scalloped shape complements the detailed engraving in this highly artistic design.
- CONVEYS THE BLESSING OF "HEALTH"! Above and to the right of the monkey is a Chinese symbol that conveys the blessing of "health".
- The Chinese characters for "CANADA" are engraved within the outer band!
- ONLY 588 COINS! Mintage has been intentionally limited to 588 coins—a symbolic number, since "8" is considered to be the luckiest of numbers in Chinese tradition.
- Your coin is GST/HST!
The reverse features a design by Canadian artists Chris and Rosina Reid in the distinctive artistic style of traditional Chinese paper cutting. The inspiring design centres on a monkey, whose curiosity and energetic ways are the embodiment of the desire to taste the flavours of a full and healthy life. In the monkey's hand is a peach; this sacred symbol of longevity and immortality is regarded as the divine fruit of gods, and expresses a wish for a long life. The monkey is at the base of a peach tree, which is covered with eight additional peaches and nine peach blossoms—an auspicious number, as the number "9" is associated with royalty and has often been used in ancient Chinese art to convey best wishes and longevity. Above and to the right of the monkey is a Chinese symbol that conveys the blessing of "health". The face value "150 DOLLARS", the year "2016", the word "CANADA" and the Chinese characters for "CANADA" are all engraved within the outer band that frames the image field. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- As represented by the nine blossoms and peaches on the reverse, the number "9" is a strongly symbolic number: it is the highest single-digit number, and is traditionally associated with royalty. It is frequently used in Chinese imperial ceramics and artwork to convey best wishes and longevity.
- It is believed that the peach originated in China, and has been cultivated for thousands of years.
- Wild monkeys have a penchant for peaches, just like the one on your coin!
- In the famous 16th century Chinese novel, Journey Into the West, the Monkey King consumes immortal peaches in the hope that he, too, will gain immortality.
- The monkey is one of the 12 animals of the Chinese zodiac and represents those born in 1920, 1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980, 1992, 2004 and 2016.
- Personality traits associated with the monkey include intelligence, optimism, confidence, agility and gregariousness.
- Always active and ever so curious, the monkey featured on your coin is a traditional symbol for health—as is the peach it holds in its hand. Whether it is depicted as a tree or a fruit, the peach is the most important symbol of its kind for it is thought to be the divine fruit of gods; as such, it is a sacred symbol of longevity and a powerful element in this blessing of health for the coming year, and many more to come.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a black beauty box.
Order your coin today!
You may also like
- Composition99.999% pure gold
- Weight (g) 10.4
- Diameter (mm) 22.5
- Face value150 dollars
- ArtistThree Degrees Creative Group (reverse), Susanna Blunt (obverse)