“That bear is killing all the animals and our people will starve. We must stop it,” the elders said. Three great hunters set out in pursuit of the great bear. They tracked it for many moons, across the earth and up into the sky.
The story above is the compelling First Nations legend that explains the origins of the Big Dipper, one of the most recognized formations in the night sky.
The seven stars that make up the Big Dipper are arguably one of the most recognized formations in the night sky. They are visible year-round from northern latitudes, and have inspired countless legends around the globe. Many First Nations legends describe the Big Dipper as a great bear who is hunted ceaselessly by three hunters. The first issue in this four-coin series shows the hunters answering the elders' call to stop the bear before it kills all the animals in the forest and brings starvation to the people.
A wonderful keepsake for star gazers and history buffs; anyone with a passion for Canada's rich ancestral past and its mystifying First Nations traditions and legends.
• The first coin in your subscription is the Quest! Each coin ships September, November, February and April.
• First coin in your subscription is The Quest that ships in September, 2014; the Wounded Bear coin ships in November, 2014; the Great Ascent coin ships in February, 2015; and the Eternal Pursuit ships in April, 2015. All coins priced at $104.95 each (NO GST/HST!*).
• A FIRST! And, all four boxes in the series when viewed in the dark make up the big dipper! Make sure you subscribe and receive all four coins and their packaging in the series!
• A FIRST: Glow-in-the-dark technology on a silver coin!
• Glows in the dark—just like stars! Turn off the lights and 7 stars depicting three hunters in pursuit of the great bear magically appear.
• Will not wear out! Innovative glow-in-the-dark technology will not wear out—ever! For best effect, simply recharge the coin under a light.
• Mesmerizing colour brings the richness of First Nations traditions to life. It's easy to imagine the powerful scene that played out as brave members of the Plains Ojibwa band set out to hunt the bear under a star-filled sky.
• Pure silver starlight! Not all the stars are coloured. Four of them shine with the perfection of 99.99% pure silver to enhance the twinkling sky.
• GST/HST exempt!
Design of the first coin in your subscription:
Western Ojibwa artist Cyril Assiniboine has created a stunning image of hunters as they head out to track the bear under a star-filled sky. The design showcases the hunters' impressive traditional Saulteaux dress, complete with imposing face paint and ceremonial shield with highly symbolic bear claw motif. In the background, the Big Dipper glows in the dark; a foreboding sign of the eternal hunt that is to come.
Your coins are encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a custom beauty box that glows in the dark!
Order your subscription today!
* Shipping and handling charges will apply to the collector case and individual coins. Subscription by credit card only. Your credit card will be charged as each coin is shipped. Subscription price for individual coins is subject to change.