Low mintage, order today!
Until the late 1800s, the bison reigned as the dominant land-grazing animal throughout Canada's grassland regions, from Manitoba to Alberta. Its unique shoulder hump and shaggy mane are just some of the physical attributes that contribute to the bison's reputation as a symbol of strength.
Moving across the landscape in large herds, the plains bison (Bison bison bison) is a social animal. Together, they are highly protective of one another – often reacting as a group to a perceived threat – and will go to great lengths to protect calves.
These new additions to the herd are typically born between mid-April and May. Weighing up to 25 kilograms at birth, the red-coloured calf is able to walk and run within a few hours of its arrival. Its fur will begin to darken around the three-month mark, slowly taking on the familiar dark brown of a mature bison. During the calf's first year of its 15- to 20-year lifespan in the wild, the cow serves as its primary caregiver, nurturing and protecting it from such predators as wolves and mountain lions.
A unique gift and collectible that celebrates Canada's fauna, an important species that shaped the history of the Prairies, and one of Canada's national icons. Order yours today!
• Striking coin depicts a male and female plains bison with a young calf, symbolizing, perhaps, the promise of a brighter future for the species with each new generation.
• The finely detailed design exemplifies the Royal Canadian Mint's internationally renowned artistry and craftsmanship.
• Rendered in 1 ounce of 99.99% pure gold and struck in a proof finish that further enhances the image's details with added depth.
• The coin is packaged with a custom beauty box featuring a graphic rendition of the reverse design.
• A striking addition to any Canadiana- or animal-themed collection.
• Your coin is GST/HST exempt with a limited worldwide mintage.
Designed by Canadian artist Claudio D'Angelo your coin depicts a family grouping of three plains bison. The bull's side profile is seen as it stands in the background, an imposing figure amidst the grassy landscape on this early summer day. Next to it, a cow rests on its forelegs but keeps an ever-watchful eye on the calf. This young bison is inquisitively studying a black-billed magpie (seen in the foreground) as the black and white bird forages for insects along the dusty ground. Above this serene scene, the word "CANADA" and the face value "200 DOLLARS" are engraved, along with the date "2014" and the purity "FINE GOLD 1 OZ OR PUR" engraved on the ground below the magpie.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with custom beauty box.
Order your coin today!