Reporting to the Network Security Architect, the Analyst, Systems Security is responsible for the day-to-day monitoring and operations of security-related components of the RCM network infrastructure. This includes actively participating in the deployment, management, maintenance and monitoring of all security-related systems. This also includes monitoring RCM computer networks in order to ensure that corporate security and privacy policies are adhered to, and be actively involved in internal investigations in conjunction with Human Resources and/or Protective Services personnel. This position must maintain knowledge of RCM’s hardware and software environments, and keeping abreast of latest development in information security.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Deploy, manage and maintain all security systems and their corresponding or associated software, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, web access and messaging gateway filters, endpoint protection software, network access control systems, PKI, etc.
- Monitor security logs and network traffic for unusual or suspicious activity. Interpret activity and make recommendations for resolution. Identify potential internal and external threats.
- Play an active role in the development, implementation, maintenance, and enforcement of policies, procedures and associated plans for system security administration and user system access.
- Conduct investigations with internal stakeholders (Human Resources, Protective Services, etc.) on potential RCM policy breaches. Participate in security incident response efforts by, amongst other things, having an in-depth knowledge of common security exploits, vulnerabilities and countermeasures.
- Assist with managing user identities and information security: provisioning and de-provisioning of end user accounts, permissions, and access rights.
- Assist with performing security penetration testing, vulnerability assessments, user activity and systems’ security audits. Analyze and resolve security breaches and vulnerability issues in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Identify and investigate systems malfunctions: isolates causes of errors to particular network infrastructure components. Recommend, schedule (where appropriate), and apply fixes, security patches, and any other measures required in the event of a security breach.
- Assist with conducting research on emerging products, services, protocols, and standards in support of security enhancement and development efforts. Keep current with emerging security alerts and issues.
- Create and update work documents as necessary including preparing documentation regarding modifications, troubleshooting procedures and problem resolution.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of experience in systems and data security.
- Relevant information security certifications are highly desirable.
- Demonstrable experience in securing network devices (i.e. switches and routers), security devices (i.e. firewalls and IDS), operating systems, Internet access and message filtering gateways.
- Knowledge of applicable practices and laws relating to data privacy and protection.
- Technical knowledge and familiarity with authentication, authorization and access controls.
- Broad hands-on skills with firewalls, intrusion detection systems, anti-virus software, data encryption, and other industry-standard techniques and practices.
- Demonstrated conceptual knowledge and understanding of security-related technologies including Access Control Lists, encryption, PKI, VPN, proxy services, and logging.
- Technical knowledge and familiarity with authentication, authorization, and access controls, including directory services technologies.
- Technical knowledge and familiarity with TCP/IP and network administration/protocols.
- High level of analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into security issues and new products as required.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion, and to maintain effective and harmonious working relations.
- Strong multi-tasking ability and able to focus on complex tasks to see them through to completion.
- A secret clearance will be required.
- English is essential. Bilingualism is an asset.
If you qualify for the mandatory requirements, and if the above describes your abilities and interests, please forward your resumé and cover letter in confidence to:
Royal Canadian Mint, Human Resources,
320 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G8
Fax : (613) 998-0272
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
The Royal Canadian Mint promotes equity in employment: As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.