Reporting to the Vice-President, Human Resources and Quality Systems, the Chief Security Officer (CSO) is responsible for the organization's entire security posture, both physical and non-physical. More specifically the CSO is accountable for developing and implementing physical and non physical security and internal control processes, including those designed to deter, detect, investigate and report on possible acts of fraud. The CSO will also participate closely in related areas such as business continuity planning, loss prevention and fraud prevention, and privacy. The incumbent is responsible for directly leading a team of 4 employees and indirectly, a group of approximately 105 employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Identify protection goals, objectives and metrics consistent with corporate strategic plan and translate these into day-to-day activities and behaviors for all team members from a security standpoint.
• Manage the development and implementation of global security policy, standards, guidelines and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of security. Physical protection responsibilities will include asset protection, workplace violence prevention, access control systems, video surveillance, and more. Information protection responsibilities will include network security architecture, network access and monitoring policies, employee education and awareness, and more.
• Work with other executives to prioritize security initiatives and spending based on appropriate risk management and/or financial methodology.
• Provide input and proposes initiatives that support the RCM’s overall business strategy in general, and detail specific security implications in particular.
• Maintain relationships with local, provincial and federal law enforcement and other related government agencies.
• Oversee incident response planning as well as the investigation of security breaches, and assist with disciplinary and legal matters associated with such breaches as necessary.
• Oversee a network of security staff and external suppliers who safeguard the company's assets as well as the physical safety of employees and visitors.
• Work with outside consultants as appropriate for independent security audits.
• Define and measure key performance indicators for the Security team, in order to support a continuous improvement culture.
• Degree or Diploma in Security Management or relevant field.
• Minimum of 10 of years of security management experience in a high risk operations environment.
• Bilingual (English and French).
• Strong knowledge of establishing and implementing security strategies, systems, procedures, processes and controls within a commercial or Public Sector organization and identifying risks and gaps in security practices to be mitigated.
• Excellent understanding of the latest security trends and knowledge as well as their application to improved organizational effectiveness.
• Strong knowledge of all relevant legislation pertaining to establishing company security systems.
• Solid understanding of current information systems security technology and its applications to corporate security effectiveness.
• Ability to establish and maintain relationships with stakeholders and clients with diverse needs and interests.
• Strong ethics and values.
• Possess excellent problem solving skills, sound judgment, and demonstrate creative thinking in the face of multiple challenges in a diversified business model environment.
• Demonstrate strong leadership abilities and interpersonal skills to develop and mentor employees in incumbent’s area of responsibility.
If you qualify for the mandatory requirements, and if the above describes your abilities and interests, please forward your resumé and cover letter in confidence to:
Royal Canadian Mint, Human Resources,
320 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G8
Fax : (613) 998-0272
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
The Royal Canadian Mint promotes equity in employment: As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.