Reporting to the Senior Manager, Technical Services, the Manager, Technical Services is responsible for the supervision and day to day management of a team of skilled trades people and Technical Services department support staff. Maintains and co-ordinates the department’s work schedules and maintenance activities. Manages and promotes a safe working environment, ensuring compliance with regulations and the Royal Canadian Mint Health and Safety programs. Coaches, mentors and oversees Technical Service staff performance and training. Leads implementation of maintenance initiatives and troubleshoots technical problems.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
Management of team of skilled trades people and department support staff
- Manage machinists, industrial mechanics, electricians, power engineers, mechanical maintenance clerks and CMMS co-ordinator.
- Organize staffing requirements and prepare shift schedules for all trades.
- Prepare and administer performance evaluations as required.
- Administer disciplinary actions for staff as required in accordance with the collective agreement.
- Manage the departmental operations to meet objectives and cost controls.
- Ensure that the expectations and objectives are clearly defined and communicated to each member of staff.
- Promote safe work habits and maintain a safe work environment.
Managing Internal Processes
- Verify and release of Technical Services labour data from HRIS system on a weekly basis.
- Organize and assign preventative maintenance work orders to all trades on a daily basis.
- Organize and assign work orders to all trades for plant operations.
- Responsible for call-in of trades on weekends and off hours to effectively keep production in progress.
- Ensure that trades have all tools and materials required to complete tasks assigned.
- Responsible for quantity and quality of tooling work required by all departments.
- Problem solve maintenance, manufacturing and fabrication issues as they arise on a daily basis.
- Ensure that shop orders are balanced weekly and resolutions are taken to allow closure.
- Ensure that safety procedures and policies are adhered to.
- Ensure that department housekeeping is maintained on a daily basis.
- Ensure that each employee has been appropriately trained for all assigned tasks.
- Track and update training matrix for all Technical Services employees. Identify training requirements of employees.
Education and Previous Experience:
- Manitoba or Inter-provincial license for an industrial trade, or a Mechanical or Electrical Engineering degree or Technology diploma
- Must have 3-5 years of demonstrated leadership in a management/supervisory capacity within a unionized manufacturing environment
- Experience working with computerized maintenance management systems is preferred
- Strong communication skills
- Strong technical skills
- Experience leading projects and maintenance tasks to completion
- Strong time management skills, and self motivation
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is required
- Ability to coach, motivate and lead employees
If you qualify for the mandatory requirements, and if the above describes your abilities and interests, please forward your resumé and cover letter in confidence to:
Royal Canadian Mint, Human Resources,
520 Lagimodière Blvd.
Winnipeg, MB R2J 3E7
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
The Royal Canadian Mint promotes equity in employment: As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.