Under supervision and within the policies and procedures of the Royal Canadian Mint, the Network Administrator position is responsible for technical support of the corporate LAN/WAN network service. Technical support of the network service includes installing, customizing, troubleshooting, and correction of network infrastructure components and software; supports IT “front office” support staff in determining problems, providing advice and guidance, and occasionally providing informal training. Maintains knowledge of RCM’s hardware and software environment.
Bilingualism is an asset.
Education and Previous Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in either Computer Science or Network Engineering, or Data Processing Diploma or equivalent is an asset;
- Minimum of 3 years of experience encompassing: installation, maintenance and support of a medium sized network infrastructure including Network operating systems, communications, LAN/WAN administration, protocols, topologies and internal/external service and application interfaces.
Abilities and Skills:
- Prepares documentation regarding modifications, troubleshooting procedures and problem resolution;
- Identifies and investigates systems malfunctions: isolates causes of errors to particular network infrastructure components;
- Experience supporting client/server applications in a SQL 2005/2008 environment;
- Provides advice and guidance to IT staff on product and technical procedure;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft’s System Center Management tools;
- Prepares reports on problems and maintain status and resolution records;
- Abilities to exercise tact and discretion, and to maintain effective and harmonious working relations;
- Interpersonal and communication skills; system development methodology; problem solving and organizational skills;
- Ability to set priorities and to meet deadlines;
- Able to work well in a team environment
- Supports the continued operation and availability of the network, including maintenance functions related to accounts, applications, printing, electronic mail, direct access and archive;
- Supports the operation and maintenance of networks: adds users, monitors user accounts and provides informal training and technical support for End User Support Staff problems;
- Debugs product installations and conducts on-site systems review to identify problem sources or system shortcomings;
- Performs and maintains network back-ups and ensures that backups remain current and complete; performs data recovery; operates and monitors anti-virus programs;
- Assists in planning, implementing, installing, and configuring upgrades to server and workstation network operating systems and application software, and hardware such as PC workstations, peripherals and network devices;
- Provides assistance in the setup or configuration of various user work environments and responds to End User Support staff queries on problems related to the LAN/WAN and recommends corrective action;
- Provides inputs to: the production of documentation required to implement networks; the planning of installation of networking hardware and software; the configuration and testing of systems; product technical reviews and to recommendations regarding technical support procedures and product improvements.
This opening is to fill a need to work on a continuous operation and/or on shift work.
If you qualify for the mandatory requirements, and if the above describes your abilities and interests, please forward your resumé and cover letter in confidence to:
Royal Canadian Mint, Human Resources,
320 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G8
Fax : (613) 998-0272
e-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
While we appreciate all applications, only those selected for interview will be contacted.
The Royal Canadian Mint promotes equity in employment: As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from women, aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities.