How to buy bullion
Q: Can I buy bullion products directly from the Mint?
A: The Mint does not sell bullion products directly to the public; only to distributors who have the infrastructure to sell and buy back to and from the public and manage sales to individual dealers in North America and around the globe.
Q: What factors contribute to the cost of purchasing bullion?
A: The retail price of bullion products is based on the international gold, silver and platinum market prices, which vary daily. A premium is added to these prices to cover manufacturing, transportation and delivery costs.
Q: Where can I buy Royal Canadian Mint bullion products?
A: To purchase bullion products, you can contact a local financial institution and ask for the manager or person in charge of investment services, or you can find additional details on the Bullion DNA Dealer locator page. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that the precious metal dealer chosen to conduct business with is a reputable source.
Q: What should I consider before buying/selling bullion products?
As with any other important purchase, it is best to research both the different methods and sources for purchasing and selling bullion. Before acquiring these products, please consider the following;
- Are you dealing with a reputable dealer/vendor who understands the bullion market?
- Are they a well established dealer/vendor with a history of satisfied customers?
- Have you considered the importance of looking at more than one vendor/dealer to get competitive quotes?
- What policies are in place to ensure your satisfaction for buying or selling bullion?
Q: What things can I look for to avoid counterfeit items?
Although extremely rare, it is always important to keep an eye out for those selling counterfeit items to the public. In order to ensure that your newly acquired RCM product is genuine, please consider the following:
- Check the wording on the packaging, product information sheet and the product itself. Be mindful of grammatical errors, variation in font size and any irregular spacing for logos and product information.
- Closely examine the packaging. Look for any signs that it may have been altered, previously opened or tampered with in any way.
- Verify the specifications of that particular product. RCM’s products have very specific weights and sizes, all of which can be found here (http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about-the-mint/products-7400002).
- Check the overall appearance of the product. Be mindful of any images that appear to be unclear or uneven, low quality or lack of milled edges (for coins). Images of our bullion products can be found here (http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about-the-mint/products-7400002).
- If you are still concerned about the authenticity of your product, call our Customer service at 1-800-267-1871 in Canada, 1-800-268-6468 in the US or click here to contact us. Our hours are from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm EDT, Monday to Friday, and 9:00 am to 5:00 pm EDT on Saturdays