Royal Canadian Mint Launches Sixth Numismatic Catalogue of 2015Back to Listing
The spirit of sports and pop culture stand out on the Mint's newest collector coins
Ottawa, Ontario, June 4, 2015 – The Royal Canadian Mint has launched a variety of stunning coins to begin the summer season, starting with the fine silver and gold plated coins celebrating the Toronto 2015™ Pan Am/ParaPan Am Games, as well as a new flight of collector coins featuring iconic Superman™ comic book covers. These coins have been available for purchase since June 2.
Among the trio of coins celebrating the Toronto 2015™ Games is the world’s first mokume gane coin. This ancient Japanese sword-making technique, which melds copper and silver to create a beautiful liquid-like design, appears in the shape of a maple leaf on a $20 fine silver coin. Another $20 silver coin features a holographic maple leaf, incorporating athlete silhouettes, whose colours evoke the energy of the Games, while a 50 cent gold-plated silver coin pays tribute to the Toronto 2015™ gold medal.
The Mint has also launched a new series, consisting of three $20 fine silver coins and one $100 14-KT gold coin, celebrating the enduring popularity of iconic Superman™ comic book covers. Their advanced engraving and brilliant colour bring all the drama and energy of favourite depictions of this universally-loved super hero.
In addition to these finely crafted collectibles, the Mint has also launched the following:
• The 2015 Limited Edition Fine Silver Coin – 70th Anniversary of the end of the Italian
Campaign, designed by Joel Kimmel and featuring innovative packaging which opens into a
diorama of a battle scene;
• The 2015 $30 Fine Silver Coin – Canada’s Merchant Navy in the Battle of the Atlantic,
designed by Yves Bérubé;
• The rectangular-shaped and coloured 2015 $50 Fine Silver Coin – 50th Anniversary of the Canadian flag;
• The 2015 Special Edition Silver Dollar Proof Set – 50th Anniversary of the Canadian flag;
• The 2015 5 Cent Fine Silver Coin – Legacy of the Canadian Nickel: The Centennial
5-cent coin (#5 in the series), featuring Alex Colville’s iconic 1967 hopping hare design in
selective gold plating;
• The 2015 $20 Fine Silver Coin and 2015 $200 Pure Gold Coin – Maple Leaf Reflection,
both designed by artist Lilyane Coulombe, which boldly illustrate the concentric ripples of a
maple leaf touching the surface of a calm lake;
• The 2015 $250 Fine Silver Coin and 2015 $2,500 Pure Gold Coin – Maple Leaf Forever,
both designed by Canadian artist Celia Godkin, and which are the largest coins (1 kilo) to feature a hologram;
• The 2015 $10 Fine Silver Coin – Colourful Songbirds of Canada: Baltimore Oriole
(#4 in the series), by artist Hélène Girard;
• The 2015 $5 Pure Gold Coin and 2015 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Prehistoric Animals: American
Scimitar Sabre-tooth Cat (#2 in the series), both designed by Julius Csotonyi;
• The 2015 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Majestic Elk, by artist Maurade Baynton;
• The 2015 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Baby Animals: Mountain Goat (#5 in the series),
designed by Glen Loates;
• The 2015 $10 Fine Silver Coin – Canoe Across Canada: Mirror, Mirror (#5 in the series),
celebrating Quebec’s Laurentian Mountains region and designed by Greg Banning; and
• The 2015 $10 Fine Silver Coin – Adventure Canada: Windsurfing (first in a new series), by artist Ken Ryan.
Mintages, pricing and full background information on each product can be found on the “Shop” tab of www.mint.ca.
All of these products can be ordered directly from the Mint at 1-800-267-1871 in Canada, 1-800-268-6468 in the US, or online at www.mint.ca. The coins are also available at the Royal Canadian Mint's boutiques in Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver, as well as through our global network of dealers and distributors, including participating Canada Post outlets.
About the Royal Canadian Mint
The Royal Canadian Mint is the Crown Corporation responsible for the minting and distribution of Canada’s circulation coins. An ISO 9001-2008 certified company, the Mint is recognized as one of the largest and most versatile mints in the world, offering a wide range of specialized, high quality coinage products and related services on an international scale. For more information on the Mint, its products and services, visit www.mint.ca
For more information, please contact:
Senior Manager, Communications
Tel: (613) 949-5777