Royal Canadian Mint's Newest Collector Coins Celebrate Canada Through Innovation and CraftsmanshipBack to Listing
Ottawa, Ontario, February 2, 2016 – In launching its second numismatic catalogue of 2016, the Royal Canadian Mint is introducing new coin shapes and other innovations to bring multiple stories of Canada to life. The Mint’s very first concave coin, made of 99.99% pure silver engraved in ultra-high relief, commemorates the 140th anniversary of the Library of Parliament while its first egg-shaped coin celebrates the colourful art of Ukrainian Easter egg decorating on a fine silver coin designed by Ann C. Morash, a Canadian artist of Ukrainian descent.
New gold coins also offer collectors precious tributes to Canadian history, culture and nature as follows:
• The 2016 $500 Pure Gold Coin – Mythical Realms of the Haida: Eagle , crafted of 99.99% pure
gold and featuring red and black enamel artwork by artist April White, also available on a 5 oz. fine silver coin;
• The 2016 $200 Gold Coin – Great Canadian Explorers Series: Pierre Gaultier de La Vérendrye,
designed by artist Glen Green;
• The 2016 $200 Pure Gold Coin – Roaring Grizzly Bear, crafted of 99.999% pure gold and designed
by artist Pierre Leduc; and
• The 2016 $10 Pure Gold Coin – Maple Leaves with Queen Elizabeth II Effigy (2003), featuring a
sugar maple leaf design by botanical artist Celia Godkin (last coin in a series of four).
Other coins include:
• The selectively-coloured 2016 $20 Fine Silver Coin – The Migratory Birds Convention,
100 Years of Protection: The Mountain Bluebird, designed by Claudio D’Angelo
(first in a four-coin series);
• The 2016 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Baby Animals: Raccoon, featuring a selectively coloured
illustration by Trevor Tennant;
• The 2016 $20 Fine Silver Coin – Four-Leaf Clover, featuring a Lilyane Coulombe
design in translucent green enamel;
• The 2016 $10 Fine Silver Coin – Reflections of Wildlife: Grizzly Bear, designed by
Maurade Baynton (first in a three-coin series);
• The 2016 $10 Fine Silver Coin – Celebration of Love, enhanced with Swarovski crystals
and featuring a dove design by Anna Bucciarelli;
• The crystal-enhanced 2016 $5 Fine Silver Coin Birthstone Series – March (coin 3 of 12); and
• The 2016 Specimen Set, featuring an illustration of a tundra swan by Glen Scrimshaw
on the one-dollar coin.
All of these coins are available as of today. Mintages, pricing and full background information on each product can be found on the “Shop” tab of www.mint.ca.
The products can be ordered directly from the Mint at 1-800-267-1871 in Canada, 1-800-268-6468 in the US, or online at www.mint.ca. The coins are also available at the Royal Canadian Mint's boutiques in Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver, as well as through our global network of dealers and distributors, including participating Canada Post outlets.
About the Royal Canadian Mint
The Royal Canadian Mint is the Crown Corporation responsible for the minting and distribution of Canada’s circulation coins. An ISO 9001-2008 certified company, the Mint is recognized as one of the largest and most versatile mints in the world, offering a wide range of specialized, high quality coinage products and related services on an international scale. For more information on the Mint, its products and services, visit www.mint.ca
For more information, please contact:
Senior Manager, Communications
Royal Canadian Mint
Tel: (613) 949-5777