Includes a beautiful graphic beauty box with the Totem Forest painting on the front!
Legendary Canadian artist Emily Carr was born in Victoria, British Columbia, in 1871. Despite setbacks throughout her adult life—including ongoing indifference toward her work in her home province—she was acknowledged late in life as one of Canada's most important contemporary artists. Her depictions of Pacific Northwest Coast native villages and artefacts have helped to preserve these cultures' changing ways of life, while her haunting portrayals of the landscape of that region created a new mythos of the Pacific wilderness. Carr was the first West Coast artist to approach the Northwest Coastal people and their artefacts as a serious subject of artistic study.
Totem Forest, 1930:
Carr's earliest encounters with the monumental totem poles of the Northwest Coast peoples began on her early forays along the coast of British Columbia. From these journeys, Carr produced sketches and on-the-spot watercolours that inspired or became many of the works for which she is now famous. She worked from life, and rarely from photos. Each pole in her work is one that she stood before in person, studying, absorbing, and becoming “personally acquainted” with (in her own words). It was on her well-known 1912 trip that Carr committed herself to preserving these First Nations artefacts through her work. She undertook a further painting trip in 1928, from which she produced several major totem works, including Totem Forest.
A unique opportunity to own an Emily Carr painting on a fine silver coin! A perfect gift for someone you know who loves Canadian art! Order yours today before they are all gone!
• The Royal Canadian Mint proudly releases a 99.99% pure silver 1-ounce coin featuring an iconic work by one of Canada's most treasured artists, Emily Carr.
• Own an expertly engraved depiction of one of Carr's iconic paintings of the Western Canadian landscape and the totemic artefacts of that region's first peoples.
• A very limited worldwide mintage of only 6,000 coins means that this piece is sure to be sought after by collectors.
• A beautiful graphic beauty box with the Totem Forest painting on the front.
• A beautiful gift or collectible for those who enjoy fine art, art history, Canadian art, or Canadian history.
• GST/HST exempt!
The reverse image is a finely engraved detail from Emily Carr's 1930 oil painting, Totem Forest. The image features a highly detailed row of massive, intricately carved Northwest Coast totem poles. Behind the poles, which dominate the central portion of the detail, a mountain rises in sweeping brushstrokes to a darkening sky.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a custom beauty box.
Order your coin today!
Photos of Emily Carr paintings: Trevor Mills, Vancouver Art Gallery