The seventh coin in our exciting 2014 O Canada series!
Don't miss out on future coins in the series: Order the subscription today
and receive for FREE
a beautiful collector box!
The foothills of the Canadian Rockies are home to Canada's cowboy heritage. Geologically unique, this exceptionally jagged, highly glaciated mountain range provides not only a stunning backdrop for those who pursue their livelihoods on its rolling foothills, but the shelter and rich, moist soil that are essential to successful ranching. For more than a century, these resilient Canadian cowboys and cowgirls have worked with the ebb and flow of the land, which is at turns either cruel or kind, evolving a way of life unique to this land and those whose lives and livelihoods depend on it.
Did you know…
• The legendary image of the western cowboy is most often invoked in reference to the history of the United States, but Canada has a rich cowboy heritage.
• Canadian ranching is said to have emerged in British Columbia's interior valleys about a decade before it began in southern Alberta. In each of these regions, however, the emergence of ranching was driven by distinct factors. While ranching in British Columbia was fuelled by various gold rushes, Alberta ranching was initially begun by absentee landowners from Europe and the United States. These owners gave way to local homesteads and smaller operations by the turn of the century, in part because of new laws that eliminated the large lease holding system that had fuelled the earliest ventures.
Own a piece of Canada's natural beauty, vividly captured in a half-ounce of 99.99% pure silver. Order yours today!
• The seventh coin in the Royal Canadian Mint's exciting new 2014 O Canada series focusing on iconic Canadian images pays tribute to the Canadian Cowboy.
• Masterfully crafted by Royal Canadian Mint engravers using a variety of engraving techniques and finishes to bring depth and texture to the artist's original depiction of an iconic Western Canadian moment.
• An excellent addition to any nature-focused, cowboy-themed, or Canadiana collection.
• Your coin is GST/HST exempt with a limited worldwide mintage.
The arresting reverse design presents a Canadian cowboy on horseback surveying the land west of Okotoks, Alberta—in the Rocky Mountain foothills south of Calgary. Standing on a grassy hillside in the left foreground, the cowboy and his mount are viewed in profile from their right sides. The cowboy wears the characteristic cowboy hat and fringed suede breeches of his profession and sits high in the saddle. In the middle distance behind him and on the right of the image roam a few members of the herd of cattle he is carefully watching grazing on a flat, grassy plain. Far off in the distance, looking westward, we see rolling foothills leading to the sharp, snowy peaks of the Canadian Rockies.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with a custom beauty box.
Order your coin today!