Previous coin sold out!
The glorious scarlet tanager is one of the easiest birds to identify across the mixed forests of eastern Canada. The male is especially impressive with its striking scarlet body, black wings and black tail. The females are yellow-green with grey-black wings.
This beautiful bird changes colour for its winter migration to South America. The male's late-summer moult results in a significant transformation as he trades his crimson plumage for the same olive-yellow tint as the female, but keeps his black wings and tail.
The scarlet tanager builds its nests in the forest canopy, on the upper and outermost branches of oaks, beech, hemlocks, and occasionally poplar and birch. This pretty songbird prefers fairly large forests with lots of large trees, but Canadians can occasionally catch a glimpse of the scarlet tanager's red or yellow feathers in backyard gardens or parks during spring and fall migration.
A beautiful gift for people who love birds, natural imagery, exquisite natural artwork and Canadian themes. Order yours today!
• The 14th and last coin in the Royal Canadian Mint's renowned Birds of Canada series. This painted coin beautifully portrays the gorgeous colouring and feather detail of the elusive scarlet tanager.
• The coin's vivid colour and minute detailing in multiple finishes showcases the unmatched talent of Royal Canadian Mint engraving art and coin-making technology.
• Features an original image painted by Canadian nature artist Pierre Leduc.
• An excellent addition to any nature-focused or Canadiana collection.
• A beautiful gift for people who love birds, natural imagery, exquisite natural artwork and Canadian themes.
This stunning coin features a full-body colour portrait of a male scarlet tanager lifting off from a bough of bright green oak leaves, as it spreads its wings and tail-feathers to stunning effect. The intense red colouring of its small, round body is intensified by the shiny blue-black of its wings and tail. Its small beak and bright black eyes seem to be fixed on invisible prey hovering just beyond the coin's right edge. The bird's glinting feathers and the delicately textured oak leaves are rendered in exquisite detail.
Your coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint-branded maroon clamshell with black beauty box.
Order your coin today!