Special Edition Silver Dollar Proof Set - 50th Anniversary of the Canadian Flag (2015)
Canada and US only
STORE AVAILABILITY:Available in store | Check Stock
NEW! Includes a special feature on the
The Royal Canadian Mint is proud to present the 2015 Special Edition Silver Dollar Proof set of Canadian coinage. This is the first time that two proof sets are available, each featuring a different design on the proof dollar coin. They are also the only sets to feature the commemorative silver dollar selectively coloured and the gold-plated one-dollar coin depicting the common loon. The elegant genuine leather book-style packaging, with removable lens, splendidly complements these fine coins. Mintage of this set has been limited worldwide.
25-cent coin—a coloured Canadian flag instead of the traditional caribou!
No other symbol is as synonymous with Canada as its distinctive red-and-white flag. To Canadians at home and abroad, the red maple leaf unites us and instills a sense of belonging regardless of our different cultures, languages and beliefs. As the National Flag of Canada celebrates its
50th anniversary, the Royal Canadian Mint proudly pays tribute to a beloved national symbol by showcasing the flag on the Special Edition Proof Silver Dollar.
The Silver Dollar Coin Design:
Designed by Canadian artist John Mantha, the silver dollar brings together symbolic elements in a telling image that is representative of Canada on the 50th anniversary of its national flag. Standing in a vast land of opportunity a family holds hands as they look beyond the horizon towards a hopeful future. Above them, the familiar national flag with its bold maple leaf fills much of the image field as it billows in the wind. The entirety is framed by 50 maple leafs, each one representing a year since the National Flag of Canada was first raised in 1965.
A perfect gift to start a young person's joy of coin collecting! Order yours today!
• LOWERED MINTAGE! Only 20,000 sets available this year, a lower mintage than previous!
• NEW SPECIAL 25-CENT! A coloured Canadian flag instead of the traditional caribou!
• The Royal Canadian Mint's renowned artistry and craftsmanship bring to life this stunning design that celebrates the 50th anniversary of Canada's flag through the use of symbolic imagery.
• The commemorative proof dollar is struck in 99.99% pure silver and is only available in this set, which also includes a special 25-cent coloured coin.
• A great opportunity for collectors to display their pride for their country through their collection, and to commemorate a milestone in Canadian history.
• A beautiful addition to any Canadiana-themed collection.
Did you know?
• The adoption of a national flag was proposed as far back as the late nineteenth century, but to no avail—that is, until the idea was raised again in 1964 by Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson.
• After much divisive debate, the National Flag of Canada was approved by Parliament in 1964. At the stroke of noon on February 15, 1965, the Canadian Red Ensign (Canada's previous flag) was lowered on Parliament Hill and replaced by the National Flag of Canada!
• The official way to describe the flag is by explaining it as a red flag with a white square in its centre, which is adorned with a red maple leaf.
• The design is symmetrical—if you fold the flag from one red edge to the other, both halves should be the same!
• The maple leaf has long been used as a symbol for this country; meanwhile, red and white were featured prominently in the Canadian Coat of Arms, as proclaimed by King George V in 1921. Official flag etiquette requires that the National Flag of Canada never touch the ground.
Your proof dollar set comes in elegant book-style packaging, with removable lens, that complements your beautiful coins.
Order your coin today!
You may also like
Fine Silver Fractional 4-Coin Set – The Wolf – Mintage: 7,500 (2016)
20 reviews$199.95 CAD
Fine Silver Coin – 100th Anniversary of In Flanders Fields (2015)
79 reviews$29.95 CAD