What are you interested in?
- Visit the Mint
- Customer Service
- About the Mint
On June 1, 1813, battle erupted between Britain’s HMS Shannon and the USS Chesapeake offshore from Boston. It was one year into the war; the Royal Navy’s morale was low; Shannon’s provisions were almost exhausted, and she was showing signs of wear. Still, her highly-trained crew quickly destroyed the gun-ports of her heavier-manned opponent. It was an intense 15-minute battle; the bloodiest aboard a frigate during the war that won a critical victory for Britain.
If you or someone you know is interested in War of 1812 naval history, this coin will make an ideal gift!
• A FIRST! Your coin is the 1st issue in the series celebrating heroes & events from the War of 1812. Watch for other coins in the coming year!
• Figurehead from HMS Shannon’s bow featured as a gold-plated cameo!
• Beautifully engraved image of the HMS Shannon in full sail.
• GST/HST exempt.
• Crafted in fine silver (99.99% pure).
• Limited to 10,000 coins worldwide.
Your coin features Canadian artist Bonnie Ross’ depiction of HMS Shannon - rendered in elaborate detail - leaving the Halifax harbor during the War of 1812. The docks and buildings of early 19th-century Halifax Harbour, including Citadel Hill are also depicted, giving you a sense of how the harbour’s appearance at that time. Your coin also features a selectively gold-plated cameo in the top right corner of the coin of the original figurehead from the Shannon’s bow. And, it includes the embossed text "1812-2012" and "HMS Shannon" as it commemorates the War of 1812.
• Coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mint branded maroon clamshell case lined with flock
• NEW! Protected by a customized beauty box to celebrate the HMS Shannon. The imagery used in your coin decorates the beauty box in bold full colours!
HMS Shannon - high seas hero in the War of 1812.
Order yours today!